Monday, March 30, 2009

Travel in rescission.....experiance unfolds

I met one of my friend from US last week. He was business travelling on economy class though he was at very high band. Yes…..travel restriction during recession is catching up. I have been always an economy and economic traveler……never claimed perdieum ….always went on actual expense reclaim basis…..stayed in serviced apartment……..went to modest restaurants…..kept my trips to only essential…..never consumed alcohol or entertained alcohol. Still………I travelled almost 70+ international travelled in last 6 years across 3 continents …….. Across 15+ countries.



But if you look market report they very upbeat about prospect of travel industry.


Back to actual subject….For me traveling was always a prudent spending. Coming from a lower middle class upbringing I always felt guilty about consuming any luxury.

In corporate the travel budget gets tightened during pre budget time. Today the Travel budget is tight due to market conditions. Very different situation than earlier.

For me this situation is boon in disguise.......I am 100% enjoying the time of non travel for past 3 months.....no one is seeing a very compulsive reason make me travel nor I am seeing very compulsive business reason to travel . But look like the time has come again ....I need to travel now to Shanghai, Beijing, Tokyo,Singapore & Malaysia. As usual I am happy to cover this in 9 working days.

BUT...this time I want to make a change. Take cost cutting to next level . I am planning to travel with next level cost cut :
1. I am travelling by Train from Beijing to Shanghai
2. I am travelling from Malaysia to Singapore by Train
3. arrange travel in such a way to avoid lodging where ever possible.

So watch out some adventures stories and pictures about my train trips abroad.

No comments:

Post a Comment